Diversity on the doorstep
Portsmouth is showing its support for Small Business Saturday tomorrow (5th December), with free parking and special offers from a host of local independent shops.
Free parking will be available all day at the following sites:
- Wootton Street car park, Cosham
- London Road car park, Cosham
- Stubbington Avenue car park, North End
- Ashby Place car park, Southsea
Enjoy discounts will be available at these local shops:
- Tango Tea, Albert Road, Southsea Antiques 10% off all goods in store
- Alison Gardiner Designs, Elm Grove, Southsea Spend over £15 and receive a free Christmas dinner candle
- Hiscock Gallery, Stanley Street, Southsea 20% off everything in store and a free glass of fizz (while stocks last)
- Adopt a Dolly, Albert Road, Southsea 10% discount on all items in store (quote "Small Business")
- Solent Cables, London Road, Portsmouth 10% discount on all purchases over £10
- Glam & Glitz Boutique, Albert Road 10% of all purchases in store
Cllr Luke Stubbs, cabinet member for planning, regeneration and economic development at Portsmouth City Council, said: "Portsmouth has plenty of independent businesses, which makes it a really interesting place to shop, and also boosts the local economy. However, small businesses can struggle to survive, so shopping local and supporting local businesses really makes a difference.
"Free parking and discounts are on offer for this event to help encourage more people visit their local shops and see the diversity that's on their doorstep."
The council's business and development team can offer support and advice for new businesses, such as Samantha Worsey's Southsea Bathing Hut, which is hoping to revive Portsmouth's once famous soap-making heritage. The Bathing Hut has been identified as one of Small Business Saturday's top 100 businesses.
The Bathing Hut will be at Love Southsea market Palmerston Road and the Esty market at Aspex Gallery in Gunwharf, both also taking place on Saturday 5 December.
Portsmouth City Council’s business advice team, with colleagues from Enterprise First, will also be on hand at Love Southsea market between 10am and 12.30pm, outside Southsea library.
Find out more about Small Business Saturday at: www.smallbusinesssaturdayuk.com