Zesty Pepperoni Penne
· 1 medium carrot, grated
· 1 clove of garlic
· 1 can whole plum tomatoes
· Olive oil
· Salt and pepper
· 450 grams of penne
· Thinly sliced pepperoni
· 4 pepperoncini peppers, thinly sliced
· 1 anchovy, finely chopped (optional)
· Flat-leaf parsley, chopped
How to Cook
1. Pulse the carrot and garlic in a food processor until the garlic is finely chopped. Add the tomatoes and their juices, 2 tbsp oil and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper and pulse until finely chopped.
2. Transfer the tomato mixture to a medium saucepan and simmer until thickened, 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
4. While the pasta is cooking, heat a dash of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the pepperoni and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the pepperoncini peppers and the anchovy (if using) and toss to combine.
5. Toss the pasta with the tomato sauce, pepperoni mixture and parsley.