1tbsp olive oil
8 thick sausages
1 onion, peeled and cut into slices
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 leek, washed and cut into thick slices
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into
chunks (approx 450g)
2tsp smoked paprika
2 x 400g tins plum tomatoes
Splash of red wine
200ml beef stock
350g cannellini beans (drained weight)
Salt and pepper
Small handful of flat-leaf parsley or chives,
Crusty bread, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan and fry the sausages for 8-10 mins, turning frequently until browned all over. Remove from the pan, cut in half and set aside.
- Drain any excess oil from the pan then add the onion and garlic and sauté for a few minutes to soften. Add in the leeks, potato and smoked paprika and cook for 4-5 mins.
- Pour in the tomatoes, red wine and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and return the sausage pieces to the pan, along with the cannellini beans.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 20-25 mins over a low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid and continue to cook for a further 5-10 mins.
- Season to taste, and scatter with parsley or chives. Serve with crusty bread.