Recipe of the month
Celebrate local flavours and the best of the countryside with this delicious recipe from Hampshire Farmers' Markets...
- 4x8oz (225g) partridges
- 1lb (450g) red cabbage, shredded finely (weight after discarding core and outer leaves)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 6 juniper berries, lightly crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1x 130g pack Cubetti pancetta
- 2 medium onions, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 10fl oz (275ml) red wine
- Salt and freshly-milled black pepper
- Cranberry jelly (to serve)
1) Preheat the oven to gas mark 4, 350F (180°C)
2) First of all, heat the olive oil in the casserole over a fairly high heat. Season the partridges then brown them all over in the hot fat before removing them to a plate.
3) Next, brown the pancetta, which will take 4-5 minutes, then remove that to the plate. Now soften the onions for 5 minutes until golden then add the garlic and juniper berries.
4) Cook these for a further minute before adding the cabbage: stir and cook this for about 15 minutes.
5) After that, add the sugar, red wine, browned pancetta and a seasoning of salt and pepper; then give everything a good stir. Now sit the partridges on their backs on top of the cabbage and bring to simmering point.
6) Cover the casserole, place it in the oven, and pot roast for 40 minutes.
7) Then remove the lid and let everything cook for another 10 minutes or so to crisp up the skin on the birds.
8) Serve one partridge per person on a bed of red cabbage, with some cranberry jelly.
Recipe supplied by Hampshire Farmers’ Markets. For more inspiration and details on your local producers visit www.hampshirefarmersmarkets.co.uk