Recipe of the month
Rhubarb, orange and almond slice
A delicious recipe from the Hinton Ampner kitchen, perfect as a luscious Valentine’s Day treat...
Ingredients (for approx 12 slices)
- 450g self-raising flour
- 450g caster sugar
- 1 large orange
- 225g fresh rhubarb
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 450g butter, softened
- 8 medium eggs, beaten
- Pinch salt
- 110g Demerara sugar
- 110g flaked almonds
1) Line a 30cm rectangular deep sided baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2) Heat oven to 150ºC.
3) Cut rhubarb into small chunks and cook on a low heat in a small saucepan until the rhubarb is tender. You will not need to add any liquid as the rhubarb release a lot of liquid when it starts to cook, do not overcook as you want to keep the lovely chunks.
4) Cut the orange into chunks and place in a food processer until chopped to a pulp.
5) Cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy then add the orange pulp and mix well.
6) Next add the flour and baking powder to the sugar and butter mixture and stir the eggs in gradually.
7) Spoon the mixture onto you prepared baking tin and top with the cooked rhubarb, sprinkle with the demerara sugar and scatter the top with the flaked almonds.
8) Bake for about 30 – 40 minutes until firm to the touch.
9) This recipe is good served warm with clotted cream as a pudding, or allow to cool and serve as a lovely afternoon tea treat.
Hinton Ampner House & Garden, 01962 771305, www.nationaltrust.org.uk/hinton-ampner