Recipe of the month: May
A typically delicious dish from Hampshire Farmers' Markets, making the very most of local, seasonal ingredients...
Beef & Asparagus Salad
For the dressing:
- ½ a cup of extra virgin olive oil or pomace oil
- 2 tbsp of white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp of honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the salad:
- 8 stems of asparagus (hard root removed)
- 1 x 8oz Ribeye steak or steak of your choice
- Sea salt
- 6 radishes
- 100g of fresh watercress or salad leafs of your choice
- 10 cherry tomatoes
1. Make your dressing by adding all the ingredients together and whisking then season to taste.
2. Heat up a char grill pan until hot, then add a little oil and add your trimmed asparagus and cook until just tender, set aside until later.
3. Get your Ribeye steak, season with sea salt and place into the pan cook for 2-3 minutes on one side then turn over and cook for 2-3 minutes on the other side (medium rare) cook for longer if you want more well done. Once you’ve done this remove from the pan and allow to rest in a warm place for 5 minutes before serving.
4. Slice your radishes into very thin slices then put in a bowl with your watercress or leaf salad. Slice your cherry tomatoes in half add to the bowl then drizzle your dressing over the salad and toss to mix together.
5. To serve, place half of the dressed salad on each plate then slice the Ribeye into strips and share between the two plates and serve
Recipe and image by Hampshire Farmers’ Markets, 01420 588671, www.hampshirefarmersmarkets.co.uk, @HantsFarmersMkt