Recipe of the month: June
Recipe of the Month
Gooseberry and Elderflower Cake
For the cake:
- 450g caster sugar
- 450g margarine or butter
- 450g self-raising flour
- 8 eggs
For the filling:
- ½ jar gooseberry jam
- 100g butter cream
For the topping:
- 100g icing sugar
- A few drops of Elderflower cordial
1) Line 2 x 10”cake tins.
2) Cream together the butter or margarine and sugar until white and fluffy.
3) Add the eggs and self-raising flour and mix well.
4) Spoon into the cake tins and bake at 160ºC for about 35-40 minutes.
5) When cakes are cooked, allow to cool. Place gooseberry Jam and butter cream in middle of the cake. For the topping make glace icing with Elderflower cordial.
Recipe and image by The National Trust’s Hinton Ampner House & Garden, SO24 0LA.
Visit the tea room at Hinton, open 10am-5pm daily.